Since the Maya Civilisation was added to the Key Stage 2 history programmes of study for the 2014 National curriculum in England to teach “a non-European society that provides contrasts with British history”, we often hear…
- How difficult it is to source good age appropriate educational resources about the Mayan Civilisation
- That primary school teachers generally have little to no knowledge of this period of history
This isn’t too surprising considering the previous history curriculum have focused on Egypt and Aztecs. But Tim and Moby to the rescue!
We’ve got plenty of amazing resources on the Mayans. Their culture, their advances in architecture, maths, art, and astronomy are all covered. Topic resources includes:
- An animated video on the Mayan Civilisation
- An interactive multiple choice quiz
- Maya lesson ideas
- Maya (and other ancient civilisations) learning games
- Maya activities, graphic organiser
Use these resources to introduce the Maya Civilisation, then encourage your pupils to explore further into this fascinating period of history with our topics on Mesoamerica, Inca Civilisation, Conquistadors, and Aztec civilisation.
- Tim and Moby explore this highly advanced pre-Columbian culture.
- Learn why the Maya civilisation wasn’t exactly an empire, but still constituted a unified culture.
- Explore the Maya script, the only complete written language developed by indigenous Americans and the role of religion in Maya society.
- Discover how the Mayas were slowly subdued by the Spanish empire, and how Mayan is still spoken in Mexico and parts of Central America today!
Time Zone X - Maya Civilisation
Develop an understanding of the rise and fall of the Mayan civilization with our Time Zone X: Maya learning game. Do well and students can start to combine historical facts other ancient civilisations!
In this lesson plan which is adaptable for years 3-12 and P3-S5, students will use BrainPOP resources to analyse a world history topic through the lens of an essential question; Conduct collaborative research and share findings both verbally and in writing.
- Lesson Idea 2 – Ancient Civilizations of Latin America Lesson Plan: Inca, Maya, and Aztec Civilizations.
In this lesson plan which is adaptable for Years 7-13 and S1 – S6, students use BrainPOP UK resources to learn and synthesise information about the ancient civilisations of Latin America. They will create a three circle Venn diagram to compare and contrast the Inca, Maya, and Aztec civilisations. Students will also design a “graffiti board” on which they write messages and draw pictures to illustrate their understanding.
- The Final Frontier – Learn about the Mayan’s views on astronomy
- Sports – Read about ‘Pitz’, the Mayan’s favourite ball game
- Etc – Cool facts about Mayan culture
- Unsolved mysteries – What happened to the Maya?
- Dates and Times – Learn about the famous Mayan calendars
- In Practice – Study Mayan fashion
- Activity – Complete the story
- Graphic organiser – 5Ws + H chart
- Vocabulary sheet – A list of terms that need explaining in your own words